This case study aims to share our team learning experiences and achievements in deploying AI and IoT technology in a retail space. This document regards the joint Adnams and Alertiee project which sought to test AI applications in retail. See the project press release here.
Adnams is an independent regional brewer, distiller and wine merchant with an estate of over 40 pubs, hotels, inns and shops.
Adnams’ modern and omni-channel approach in engaging with its customers has put the company in a unique position, both in terms of its outreach and its social responsibilities, to enhance health and safety measures for both customers and staff in all of its locations and premises types.
Alertiee has developed a number of unique applications of AI and IoT and video analytics in the retail space in order to boost customer confidence and engagement, for example, an occupancy management system to manage stores’ safe operation capacity, as well as AI-enabled video analytics to assess customer attributes.
AI and IoT in the retail industry
The goal of the pilot was to evaluate the usefulness of Internet of Things (IoT) and video analytics technologies in a retail space in a modern way by:
- Providing insights about store performance
- Occupancy management and capacity control
- Testing customer insight and attribute technology
- Evaluating store performance as a function of metrics such peak day/time
- Assessing the usefulness of the analytics dashboard
The pilot began at Adnams’ Southwold flagship store on the 1st April 2021 and ended on the 1st June 2021. For this project the following technologies were employed:
- Infrared sensor: People-counting sensors with Wifi connectivity for occupancy management system
- IP camera: Connected cameras for AI and video analytics modules, to detect mask-wearing, social distancing, safety compliance monitoring system and customer insights.
- Cloud computing and AI: In this project we used the Amazon Web Services (AWS) system to build the Digital Twin model, stored on the Cloud, for occupancy management and customer insight AI algorithms.